Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My poor (but tough) baby!

***These pictures are a little gross (medically) so only look if you want to.***

Yesterday we went to a new Splash Pad (for those who don't know what a splash pad is, it is like a water park without pools. Lots of fountains and sprinklers for kids to play in) and Park. He was having fun but really liked playing in the creek nearby better. Anyway, near the splash pad, there was a little area of plants and Harrison was playing near that area when all of the sudden he came running over to me whining. Not seeing anyone by him, I look at him not knowing why he is cranky. As he got closer, I heard him saying foot and shoe and sure enough, I look down and see ants on his ankle and leg. I quickly get them off because I would almost bet that he is whining because they are fire ants. And alas...they were and later that day we saw this all over his ankle and a few more on his leg.

Luckily, if there is anything lucky about finding fire ants, is that he got out and with the exception of 1 bite, all the others are on the one leg and ankle.
Not sure how many people have encountered fire ants, but this is Harrison's second time and I have had a few encounters as well. They hurt and they hurt BAD!!! The aching lasts quite a while and then you are left with these bumps of puss long after they are gone and then you have what looks like a scar long after that. It is not fun and my brave little guy didn't cry at all. Just the whining at first and then nothing after that.
Although, whenever we look at them, he looks down and says "Owy!" He just likes the attention I think, but I am really impressed he doesn't let this bug him more!
My baby really is brave!

3 comments:

Trishelle said...

Youch!! Those are fire ant bites alright! Those little critters are tied for my least favorite thing about the east coast (sharing that spot with cockroaches). Poor little guy!

Jamie said...

Poor guy! I once got bit by just ONE ant and it hurt like crazy. I hope he gets better soon!

Maria said...

Oh no Harrison! We hope you are doing ok and know that we are thinking of you. We miss you guys!