Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Setting (and Following through on) Goals

When I got put on bed rest back in October, I was heart broken. I worked out my whole pregnancy with Harrison and really think that helped my recovery. Well, not an option with Raegan, so I signed up for a 5k race 2 months after she was born.
Then she ended up being a little more high maintenance then her brother. Jeff and I had planned on running the race together and about 2 weeks ago decided that one of us would have to stay with the kids. She doesn't take a bottle well and if she ended up screaming the whole time, I wanted it to be one of us. So, taking the easy road, I told Jeff (who had trained much more then me) to run the race. I would bring the kids and we would see him at the finish. Being the wonderful husband that he is, did not let me quit. He knew my goal was to complete this race and so he pushed me to do it. I had not trained much (I have been running a couple of miles a week and never more then 2 miles at a time) but thought I could at least run/walk the race so off I set.
Well, not only did I finish, but I ran the whole time. I finished in 35:41. I know it was only a 5k but I set the goal and I accomplished it.
And my kids were there to meet me at the finish. I kept hearing Harrison's little voice saying "Go Mommy!" and I kept on running.

I love that my family is always there for me and encouraging me to do great!

3 comments:

Kerry said...

That's awesome! Definitely an inspiration to me.

Deanna said...

Awesome!ngood for you for sticking with it.

Kristen said...

Great job, Dionne!