Thursday, March 4, 2010

Better late than never!

I have been thinking about starting a garden this year (I am NOT a gardener!) Growing up we had a huge garden and after a whole summer of weeding, we spent the end of our summer picking and canning! I hated it but looking back, we had a good time. All my siblings were together and we would listen to music and make the torture fun! Anyway, after one failed attempt in Utah to start a garden, I thought I would try here in TX. Then, after talking to people, I realized that I should have started in January with the digging and planted in February. Oh well, I still want to try.

This last weekend, Jeff's parent's were in town (pictures on that to come soon!) and his mom got me motivated and we did some cleaning up in the backyard to try and get things ready.

Here is Harrison trying to get into the bags of branches and junk that we were trying to get rid of...
So, I told him no more playing in the bags and he went to one of my potters (soon to be home to tomatoes!) and started throwing the dirt out one handful at a time. Then, he did not like the dirt all over him or the fact that I wouldn't pick him up because he was all dirty...poor dirty boy got a bath after that one!

So, here is our garden spot. The pavers and area were done for us by the previous owners but as you can see the weeding is going to be the fun part! And this is after my mother-in-law helped clean out some of the big stuff. So, we are going to get a very strong weed killer and hopefully I can get it under control by the weekend. Now we just need to figure out what to plant...any ideas?

1 comment:

Nathan and Emily said...

I can't believe your garden is going in already! We're still dealing with snow here! When we had our little garden, we tried peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and beans I think. Good luck!